Friday, March 1, 2013

PostAWeek 8: Hanging on Belay – The Mile High Diaries, Page 1 By David “Deadpoint Dyno” Dysart


PostAWeek 8: Hanging on Belay – The Mile High Diaries, Page 1
By David “Deadpoint Dyno” Dysart



It has been a harsh and unforgiving 5 weeks, but I have journeyed over 3500 feet toward the summit of Mount Etatslac. I only have 4 ½ more weeks to finish my venture before the thaw of Spring keeps me from my 3rd annual summit.

Luckily, I have found this journal today in my journey. It shall be good for me I think to chronicle the rest of my journey. Yes, very good indeed. Perhaps though, my experience up to now should be thought over.

In the cold of every winter, I embark on this expedition. To aid my trek, I’m commissioned by the great mount’s high council to aid others on my same journey. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am eager to give with a helping belay to familiar and new faces alike when on my own time, but I have been helped as well, that is most certain. My brothers in arms have been crucial in my ascent as well as those same friends and fresh faces.

These fellow climbers are not my only distraction. My survival in this frigid and hellish (yes, a hellish frigidness) place requires my constant learning. This learning comes as great personal expense in both time and money, but only serves to halt my ascent.

Unique to this mountain is the unusual paths. Reds, blues, oranges all run their ways up the mountain. Each pose their own challenges and risks. The ever-changing face of the great beast has kept my climb exciting, but they threaten to derail my progress at every drop-knee and deadpoint dyno. Injury has plagued me in my sport, and every dead climb is nothing more than a cul-de-sac, damning my feet and forcing me to find another route up that 34-foot stint.

These routes have been blazed by the brilliant minds of my generation, and I’m proud to have a route or two amongst their greatness. As my familiarity grows with these hard-fastened friends of mine, change comes over the horizon. New routes show the promise of exciting new climbs and paths toward my final goal of 5,280 feet. Only time will tell if I am able to conquer this mountain again, and only I can tell time that I shall not stand idly by as it rushes to beat me to the top.

The Mile-High Diaries
David Dysart
February 11th 2013







Listening to
Why Am I the One by Fun

Twitter Tag
Read mine and strike out on your own journey, only at the PostAWeek http://tiny.cc/PostAWeek8


Going faster than a “Reply All” email, websites like mine will surely go your way
http://twitter.com/daviddysart All in all, it’s just another post in the feed
http://daviddysart.tumblr.com/ I’m gonna post some tumblrs
http://hangingonbelay.blogspot.com/ Got you stuck on my belay, on my belay like a figure 8
http://daviddysart.blogspot.com/ Posts become as vapid as a blogger out in Starbucks
http://tiny.cc/Facebook_DavidDysart This site has got to be the most pretentious thing


New to the Bloggaday? These are the essential posts to see
158 – Boxer V Brief – Short, concise joke machine and a DYNAMIC ENTRANCE! to my favorite Bloggadays of the Second Trigaday
159 – A Phthalates-filled Sbarro Breadstick – This was just a funny Bloggaday despite the essence being something no one will get unless the look up what a phthalate is
174 – FNtCCA,aToTbDD– While I think it’s clear I rarely EDIT the Bloggaday, this train-of-thought post shows how much I have to FILTER it…
183 – SotW 13 – This one had it all. Pretty much every bit that’s been a major player in the SotW made its way into this one, so it’s a good one to try.
134 – SotW 5 – This particular Song of the Week featured the characters a bit truer to their original concept. After a while, I started liking Tom too much and changed him a bit which caused changes to Chuck.
227 – PWND: TSHBRotCCPS pt16 was some solid fiction content. Plus, that was probably some of the finest Final Thought I’ve ever thought up.


People assume that climbing is a strict progression of bottom to top, but actually, from a non-ATC, non-gri gri viewpoint, it's more like a big bowl of wibbly wobbly climby wimby stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment