Monday, January 28, 2013

PostAWeek 3.5: Hanging on Belay - Did you Order the Penalty Slack? By David “Penalty Slack” Dysart


PostAWeek 3.5: Hanging on Belay - Did you Order the Penalty Slack?
By David “Penalty Slack” Dysart

The climbing community has changed a bit over the last year or so. Penalty slack was a bit more common in my time. Then again, I also had to climb 15 miles both ways in the snow to get to work... I digress... I wrote this a while ago, but I stumbled upon it and decided it was worth a repost.



Kaffee: *Jessep, did you order the Penalty Slack?*
Randy: You *don't* have to answer that question!
Jessep: I'll answer the question!
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled.
Jessep: *You want answers?*
Kaffee: *I want the truth!*
Jessep: *You can't handle the truth!*
[pauses]
Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be belayed by men with ropes. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the staff. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's drop, while tragic, probably saved falls. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves falls. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who climbs and repels on the rope of the very anchor that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a rope, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Kaffee: Did you order the Penalty Slack?
Jessep: I did the job I...
Kaffee: *Did you order the Penalty Slack?*
Jessep: *You're Goddamn right I did!*





Listening to
Uno, Dos, Tres By Green Day

Twitter Tag
You want the PostAWeek?!? You can’t handle a post a week! Only @ http://tiny.cc/PostAWeek3point5


Going faster than a “Reply All” email, websites like mine will surely go your way
http://twitter.com/daviddysart All in all, it’s just another post in the feed
http://daviddysart.tumblr.com/ I’m gonna post some tumblrs
http://hangingonbelay.blogspot.com/ Got you stuck on my belay, on my belay like a figure 8
http://daviddysart.blogspot.com/ Posts become as vapid as a blogger out in Starbucks
http://tiny.cc/Facebook_DavidDysart This site has got to be the most pretentious thing


New to the Bloggaday? These are the essential posts to see
158 – Boxer V Brief – Short, concise joke machine and a DYNAMIC ENTRANCE! to my favorite Bloggadays of the Second Trigaday
159 – A Phthalates-filled Sbarro Breadstick – This was just a funny Bloggaday despite the essence being something no one will get unless the look up what a phthalate is
174 – FNtCCA,aToTbDD– While I think it’s clear I rarely EDIT the Bloggaday, this train-of-thought post shows how much I have to FILTER it…
183 – SotW 13 – This one had it all. Pretty much every bit that’s been a major player in the SotW made its way into this one, so it’s a good one to try.
134 – SotW 5 – This particular Song of the Week featured the characters a bit truer to their original concept. After a while, I started liking Tom too much and changed him a bit which caused changes to Chuck.
227 – PWND: TSHBRotCCPS pt16 was some solid fiction content. Plus, that was probably some of the finest Final Thought I’ve ever thought up.

Climb on

No comments:

Post a Comment